This post has been sitting around patiently, waiting to be written for so long that I've literally finished one of my MAC lipsticks in the meantime! It's just that combination of being busy, feeling obliged to do PR posts first (beauty blogger problems clearly!) AND suffering three internet outages in as many weeks, but now I finally have that window of opportunity to do one of my just for fun posts.
Let me open up my MAC lipstick wardrobe and share - I love reading other people's lipstick posts (lipstick is my other obsession besides nails) so this was definitely fun to do! It did actually serve another, "practical" purpose too because I was well and truly ready for a Back 2 MAC lipstick so I wanted to do a bit of a colour inventory first and see where the gap is in my own collection. Read on and you shall see!
I'll start with classic reds because that's where my MAC obsession started all those years ago - as you might have spotted in the picture one of these is very old too (original packaging!) but I've been keeping it for sentimental value and because it - amazingly - hasn't gone bad otherwise it would be going Back 2 MAC for sure! I'm going to list everything throughout the post from left to right so here we go...
- Lady Danger (Matte) - Described by MAC as a vivid bright coral-red. I've been fixated with orangey reds over the past year and this was my most recent addition to my MAC family by way of Back 2 MAC actually! It's screechingly bright to the point I have to be feeling confident to wear it but it adds confidence once it's on so it's worth that first step. While some of my MAC matte lipsticks are dry and apply with a lot of dragging across the lips Lady Danger positively glides on in one swipe.
- RiRi Woo (Matte) - Matte cool red with a retro matte finish. Now this one literally is a drag unfortunately so it needs the help of balm to get it onto my lips without tearing them up. I love the blue red but it doesn't love me back. I've hung onto this lipstick mostly because of the rose gold limited edition packaging.
- Russian Red (Matte) - I'm not sure what the official shade description is but to me this is probably the truest red lipstick in my entire lipstick collection! It's obviously old judging by the packaging and I've only worn it a couple of times a year on average because again it's a serious red and unfortunately that powdery matte formula dries out my lips.
- Dubonnet (Amplified) - The deepest red in my MAC collection and my favourite of the four. This is brownish slightly vampy red which adds impact in a more toned down way than my brighter shades. Being a fan of the Amplified formula I love how this piles on the colour in a single swipe and has a slight creamy sheen. Best of all it's the one red which doesn't dry out my lips! Without sounding depressing Dubonnet is the perfect austere red for autumn and winter in Melbourne when I wear my black clothes in all their glory.
Now for some rather messy swatches in the same order as above!
One of these nudes has literally been worn to death since I took these pictures because I loved it to death...
- Peach Blossom (Cremesheen) - A soft pink-nude with a shiny finish. I've been enjoying this as my nude of choice over the summer because it's a swipe and go kind of colour. Cremesheens are up there as being one of my favourite finishes in the MAC family for their shiny formula but for one significant drawback: a lot of mine have snapped at the stub.
- Modesty (Cremesheen) - This was the nude lipstick I loved to death and finished off. The mauve-nude tone perfectly emulated and embellished my natural lip colour so it was the 'my lips but better' lipstick of choice and I can definitely see it being repurchased. Despite being a Cremesheen the bullet held fast without snapping so that's another reason it was/is a favourite.
- Brave (Satin) - This is the 'other' Modesty if you like as it has a very similar, ever so slightly more mauve nude tone and is my current MLBB choice. Being a satin it can look a bit flat and lifeless on my lips worn on its own so I prefer to top it with a bit of gloss. I've just been reading this is one of the shades for the Kylie Jenner lip if you're into that look although I bought this lipstick a couple of years before the craze. Apparently I was ahead of the trend!
- Plastique (Frost) - Caramel frost. I bought this one more than a couple of years ago and it only comes out to play as a topper these days because it's just a little too beigey on its own. I'm considering putting this lipstick in my Back 2 MAC pile.
Pink & Purples
This is a bit of a motley grouping of colours but close enough for me...
- Impassioned (Amplified) - Described by MAC as a bright warm pink this - HOT coral pink in my words - is the most screamingly bright MAC lipstick in my collection hands down!!! I jumped on the bandwagon with this one when it felt like everyone was raving about it. Honestly whenever I wear this statement shade my lips enter the room before I do! I really need to pluck up every ounce of courage to put it on - although right now I can feel my little inner voice daring me to again!
- Up The Amp (Amplified) - The official description for this shade is lavender violet - a pinkish purple! I don't shy away from purple because it works with my complexion, whitens my teeth and it's an unexpected alternative to pink. I've worn this lippy a lot but because the Amplified formula is a one-swipe wonder and super pigmented it's going to take forever to wear down the stub.
- Rebel (Satin) - This scary looking bullet wears as a bright pink plum on my lips and this is my favourite MAC lipstick shade of all time and the first MAC lipstick I have repurchased. I love how this shade can be built up from a sheer raspberry to a deeply vibrant colour depending on my mood. I opt for this in the cooler months as an alternative to dark red but I can also get away with it as an unexpected summer evening lipstick choice when I want to wear a statement lip.
And the vibrant swatches!
After going through all the lipstick shades in my collection I realised there was indeed a gap and I needed a soft pink lipstick to fill it. My selection when I finally did go the MAC counter? Angel!
What's your favourite MAC lipstick shade?