11 August, 2012

YSL Rouge Volupte - 12 Forbidden Burgundy

Finally I'm free to buy lipstick again after finishing my quota of 5 lippies since January - no more beauty bans for me this year!

I was always going to choose a luxe lipstick as a reward for completing my lipstick ban.  I've been on a berry kick all winter and YSL's Forbidden Burgundy seemed the perfect choice (thanks to Larie at Eye Heart It  again - I really should call you 'Lemming Larie'!).  I actually had to wait a little while to get this lipstick shade because it was out of stock when I originally went to buy it.  The YSL sales assistant tried to steer me to a similar shade but after another swatch I was more sure than ever and decided I was prepared to hold out - I knew I'd only buy it later anyway, even if I took up SA's suggested alternative.

And here it is, my first lipstick purchase in many months.  I've always loved the luxuriously ornate gilt packaging of the Rouge Voluptes.  I also like the visibility of the shade inlaid on the central band around the tube.  I now have three of these lovely lipsticks in my lip wardrobe...

12 Forbidden Burgundy

Rouge Volupte lipsticks are referred to as "Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick" and I agree they glide on very easily.  They're well pigmented, feel weightless on my lips, and have a lovely luminous sheen.  They don't bleed (a big yay from me on this point!), don't dry out my lips, and fade evenly without any flaking.   Wear time is pretty good too, and the colour easily lasts me from first thing in the morning until lunch without the need for a touch up.  The one issue I have - and this is unique to this particular colour - is the pigmentation is so intense it stains my lips and won't budge without a bit of effort.  However the stain it leaves behind is quite a nice shade of beet!

For those interested I've included the full ingredients list from YSL's website:

OCTINOXATE (ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE) . AVOBENZONE (BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE) (OTHER): PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRAISOSTEARATE . HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE . BUTYL STEARATE . BUTYLOCTYL SALICYLATE . BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2 . POLYETHYLENE . HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL . DIMETHICONE . TITANIUM DIOXIDE . CERA MICROCRISTALLINA (MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX) . CERA ALBA (BEESWAX) . DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER . ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) BRAN OIL EXTRACT . SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE . STEARYL STEARATE . ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE . CAPRYLYL GLYCOL . TOCOPHERYL ACETATE . ORYZANOL . AMMONIUM GLYCYRRHIZATE . PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) . BEHENIC ACID . PARAFFIN . GLYCERYL STEARATE . LECITHIN . TOCOPHEROL . ASCORBYL PALMITATE . BUTYLENE GLYCOL . ROSEMARY (ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS) EXTRACT . PHENOXYETHANOL . HEXYLENE GLYCOL . SODIUM HYALURONATE . CITRIC ACID . LIMONENE.[+/- MAY CONTAIN : CI 77491 (IRON OXIDE) . CI 15850 (RED 7) . CI 15850 (RED 6) . CI 45410 (RED 28 LAKE) . CI 77499 (IRON OXIDE) . CI 77492 (IRON OXIDE) . CI 42090 (BLUE 1 LAKE) . CI 17200 (RED 33 LAKE) . CI 73360 (RED 30) . CI 75470 (CARMINE) . CI 12085 (RED 36) . CI 15985 (YELLOW 6 LAKE) . CI 19140 (YELLOW 5 LAKE) . CI 77019 (MICA) . CI 77742 (MANGANESE VIOLET) . CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE) . CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE . CI 77002 (ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE) . SILICA . SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE . TALC. ] "6YL03-1 "


Swatched in direct and indirect daylight...


...and swiped onto my bare lips
Aside from the shiny finish, Forbidden Burgundy looks scarily close to my MAC Rebel lipstick (see here ).  Ah well, just means I can't get enough of these shades!

YSL Rouge Volupte lipsticks retail at $55AUD at Myer, and David Jones stores nationally.

Until next time

Vita :)

12 comments:

  1. Its such a gorgeous colour!! I want to get a YSL lipstick but every time I go to check it out the sale assistants keep hovering and trying to push me into buying. I hate being pressure and just like to look for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I really had to stand my ground when the SA was trying to sell me a substitute for the shade I really wanted. Funnily enough it can be quite the opposite at other beauty counters, where the SA's are either not around or just too busy to give you the attention when you want it!

      Delete
  2. Forbidden Bergundy looks stunning on you! I love YSL Lipstick formulas and the gold packaging gives me more of a reason to build up my lippie collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, yes Rose! I like the idea of building up my collection. I might treat myself with another shade for spring - which is next month!

      Delete
  3. wow its a lovely color Vita n yes it looks exactly same as Rebel and you make me want Rebel so bad :) both look stunning on u ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saumya! I think it's all about the finish as the colours look pretty close. If you prefer a satin rather than a shiny finish lipstick then Rebel is for you :)

      Delete
  4. Hurray! You were finally able to purchase it! I think it does look close to Rebel, but to my eye, it is perhaps a smidgen darker and the finish is definitely different, as you said.Sometimes finish matters, though :) Plus, it's just such a luxe lipstick...I don't get the same thrill from wearing a MAC lipstick, hahaha. It's gorgeous on you, Vita! And Lemming Larie...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemming Larie - that's you girl for sure! I need to do the old side by side swatch comparison to see how similar these two lippies are - I can easily justify owning both anyway, based on the finish :)

      Delete
  5. GORGEOUS! What a lovely winter shade. And you so deserve this splurge after all those lipsticks you finished! Enjoy - it looks fabulous on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz!!! And thanks for your support and encouragement along the way. You too shall kill 5 lipsticks before too long - looking forward to you hitting your goal :)

      Delete
  6. I love YSL, my very favourite brand and I love these lippies! Beautiful colour choice, and good on you for holding strong for 'the one'!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...