25 November, 2013

RiRi Hearts MAC Fall 2013 collection: my picks and thoughts

I'll apologize straight up for posting on a sold out collection.  Something like this was always going to sell out quickly - in days - and despite my sincere intentions of getting this post up a whole month ago I'm still stubbornly going ahead with it now because, well, I did take the pictures a month ago and I have some definite opinions I want to share -  I'm not just talking about the stunning rose gold packaging either okay?  Yeeessss well...that's what drew me in initially but stating the blindingly obvious, ultimately it's the performance of the product inside which counts.

Well, for the sake of it, let's just get the swooning over the packaging out of the way first shall we? You may know that I have a weakness for all things rose gold and such prettiness was not going to be overlooked.  I knew I had to get one of those sleek looking lipstick bullets but I particularly loved the packaging of the blush.  So here they are in all their gilt glory:  RiRi Woo lipstick and Hibiscus Kiss Satin Powder blush...

 The packaging's so highly reflective that you can even see me photographing it...


Although the look is metallic, as with all MAC packaging these are in fact lightweight plastic so I know I will worry about the durability of the gilt finish flaking off and won't be bashing these around too freely in my everyday cosmetic purse.  Oh well.  Rest assured at least one of these will be used.  Yes, just one...

Hibiscus Kiss


Although labelled as a satin powder blush Hibiscus Kiss is not that simple, but instead a very pretty multitasking blush-bronzer. I was a bit hesitant at first but the MAC SA convinced me the bronzer wouldn't be too dark and a few swatches later I was tentatively convinced - at least enough to buy it.  What sold it to me was the idea of mixing the two shades to come up with a warm blush and the fact the bronzer was matte, and relatively 'safe'. 

Since getting it home, as a pale skinned NC20 chick I don't have any regrets about this buy at all.  The shades apply very smoothly and are all flattering for my yellow undertones.  I started off using the two shades combined but I've since fallen in love with the bronzer itself - completely unlike me because I'm a self-confessed bronzerphobe, one with a complete fear of bronzers even though I have a few!  I apply this bronzer with the largest, fluffiest brush I can find and I look a little more alive.  Completely natural, yes!  I suppose this means it's not going to be great for those with medium to dark skin tones but this is a great choice for those like me with fair skin who normally steer clear of bronzer.

Heavily swatched L - R:
blush, bronzer, blush/bronzer combined


RiRi Woo matte lipstick



Doesn't she look beautiful? Alas, she is beautiful but unfortunately not kind to me. This gorgeous cool toned red is a "retro-matte" formula and it's the formula which worked against me.  The powdery lipstick literally drags across my lips making it extremely difficult to get smooth coverage.  I did try applying it with a brush as recommended but found it only slightly easier.  Yes, I could apply it over a balm I suppose but I'm not the only one out there who feels a balm beneath a matte lipstick defeats the purpose.

The other thing which mightily bothered me was how the lipstick faded all too quickly from the inner third of my lips so I had to touch up more often than I would with a cream formula.  I know there was a matching lipliner the SA tried to sell me at the time which would have solved that particular problem - just colour in the entire lip with the matching pencil first! If only I knew then what I know now...

She's still beautiful in the swatch on the back of my hand. 
Now if only my lips could look like that too without all the hassle. *sigh*

Did you fall under the spell of this collection?


17 comments:

  1. I didn't purchase anything from the collection but was tempted by the pretty packaging... Wasn't everyone? Haha. It's a shame that RiRi Woo didn't work for you because the shade is beautiful!

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shade of red is gorgeous - I love true reds so I'll probably give it another try. I just wish I didn't have to work at it!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. If you want to sell your Ririwoo let me know! I bought a tube and think I also need a back up......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock red lips so I really should be getting tips from you!

      I'm not ready to quit this tube just yet although I feel as though I'm on strike 2 and one more strike... If I decide to sell I'll definitely let you know because I know you'd do it justice!

      Delete
  3. The packaging of the line is just so gorgeous and so are the products! Great idea to mix the blush and bronzer together to create a custom shade, gives a few different ways of using the one palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love multitasking products so that was the clincher for me :)

      Delete
  4. i will do not buy it only because of the name :)))

    blog she.is.the.one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I'm not much of a Rihanna fan these days myself. She's a bit too outrageous for me :p

      Delete
  5. Hey Vita! I did pick up the bronzer/blush too and like it as well. I couldn't resist the packaging either haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to think of us both using the same product - yes rose gold is my weakness :)

      Delete
  6. You know what? I don't like Rihanna nor rose gold much but even so this packaging looks super pretty! Totally don't blame you. Great photographs! Enjoy them - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like Rihanna before she got out of control but that's another story I guess...

      I bought these in spite of that! So pretty and I do love wearing the blush-bronzer. I still need convincing about that stubbornly dry lipstick though!

      Delete
  7. I wasn't tempted by this collection to be honest - though I do really like your photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must admit I was really pleased with how the pictures turned out although I give 100% credit to the pretty products themselves!

      Delete
  8. I wasn't going to the get the RiriWoo lipstick but when Ling (The Best Beauty Blog) asked me to get one for her when I was in the U.S, I fell in love with the shade after swatching. Too bad though, they were all sold out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see you in it - you wear bright shades so well. Be warned - it is VERY matte though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...