18 February, 2016

Review: Nude by Nature Pressed Mineral Cover. The 'hard' facts...

I received Nude by Nature's new pressed mineral cover foundation quite some months ago for review and I initially, unconditionally loved it and was set to write a rave review when things started to change...


I sat on my thoughts for a while and then after seeing someone else write their same experience on one of my Instagram posts I decided I should share mine -  you'll see that this isn't going to be a product bashing review but more of conflicted one because this pressed powder foundation is still good but it has one annoying drawback!

Let's start with the good shall we? 

Nude by Nature says....
"The Pressed Mineral Cover (10g) is made of an antioxidant-rich, hydrating formula that illuminates the skin with a flawless coverage. Buildable from a medium to full coverage, it instantly minimises the appearance of pores and wrinkles. The powder foundation is composed of performing active natural ingredients, including the native Australian Kakadu Plum, known for its abundant Vitamin C content, and Cehami Extract, to which hydrates and nourishes the skin. The fragrance-free formula also contains Vitamin E, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter to help perfect your complexion.


KEY BENEFITS

Lightweight texture 
Buildable from a medium-to-full flawless coverage 
Semi-matte finish 
Perfectly evens-out the complexion 
Instantly minimizes appearance of pores and wrinkles 
Controls oil and shine 
Long-lasting, up to 8 hours"



My impressions:
Most mineral products are packaged in the potentially messy loose powder form but I like convenience and portability so I'm a fan of this pressed powder version in its slimline packaging. I always like a product that can pop into my makeup bag for easy touch ups!  The compact also comes housed in a matching fabric pouch, with a powder sponge that I admittedly never use as I prefer a brush for buffing in mineral foundation and I always carry a retractable kabuki brush anyway.

As I've mentioned in recent posts I'm becoming more interested in what I'm actually applying to my skin these days so the list of quality natural (and some native) ingredients like Kakadu Plum, Jojoba and Shea Butter that are actually going to do something good for my skin is a definite selling point for me.  

As for the coverage itself? It's easily built up by buffing into the skin, resulting in a natural looking finish that doesn't look made up or obviously powdery or cakey so I find that all of the uneven pigmentation and redness in my skin simply buffs away with this mineral cover.  It feels very light and not suffocating in the slightest and because of the moisturizing ingredients it makes my skin look surprisingly almost dewy which is not something most powder foundations do.  As for the 8 hour claims?  The cover lasts well throughout the day without breaking down or creasing around the nose so I'm not rushing off for a midday touch up. The only claim I find I disagree with is "...instantly minimizes appearance of pores" as I do find I still need a bit of help from a primer before applying to minimize any significant pores. 

There are five shades ranging from fair to dark - I've personally found it's best to go with a shade lighter than you think you need because these can add quite a bit of depth and warmth to your complexion and can oxidize slightly.  I'm an NC20 (in the old MAC language from my previous life) and currently using Light/Medium although I think Light would be a better shade match for me.

Obviously there's a lot I like about this pressed mineral foundation - to the point that I went and purchased a backup! So far so very good...




Now look below at what happened after I'd been using it for a while. This powder unfortunately formed a stubborn shiny hard pan on its surface making it difficult to pick up product, and that despite daily scraping with a spoolie brush the hard pan reformed again, and again and again...  You might ask:  does trying a scratchy, dense brush help?  Unfortunately no matter what brush I tried, nor how vigorously I swirled that brush into the pan that pesky hard pan would form yet again.


You're probably thinking that I gave up and threw this out but, no, I still loved how it looked on my skin once I could get some out of the pan and I was prepared to scratch up the surface every day if necessary until I finished the entire pan - which I did!

As I mentioned I do have that backup too that I'm currently using, and I'm watching it like a hawk to see how it fares.  If it's just as problematic with forming hard pan then I guess it's back to choosing loose mineral powders for now...

************************************

Ingredients:
MICA, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, LAUROYL LYSINE, KAOLIN, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, JOJOBA ESTERS, TAPIOCA STARCH, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL, COCO-CAPRYLATE, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, GLYCERYL CAPRYLATE, CERA ALBA (BEESWAX), CENTIPEDA CUNNINGHAMII (CEHAMI) EXTRACT, TERMINALIA FERDINANDIANA (KAKADU PLUM) SEED OIL, CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OIL, GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL, TOCOPHEROL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, MAY CONTAIN: +/- [C.I. 77007 (ULTRAMARINES), C.I. 77491 (IRON OXIDE), C.I. 77492 (IRON OXIDE), C.I. 77499 (IRON OXIDE), C.I. 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), C.I. 77947 (ZINC OXIDE)].

Cruelty Free: Yes (PETA)
Vegan: No (contains beeswax)
Certified Organic: No

Until next time!


(This product was provided for my consideration.  All comments and opinions are my own.)

8 comments:

  1. What a pity it goes hard on top! Otherwise it sounds great, but that it a pretty big ongoing problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping the hard pan was a one-off problem but will add an update to this post once I'm sure how the new powder's going. This is a great mineral foundation otherwise :p

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this happens with pressed natural mineral powders a lot. I LOVED the Jane Iredale pressed one and the same thing happened with it! It was still useable, just not pretty to look at is all. Which thanks! You just reminded me how much I loved that Jane Iredale one-going to get one again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the hard pan might be because of all the moisturising ingredients? Anyway I agree - this mineral foundation is fantastic otherwise and that's why I bought a backup. Jane Iredale is a brand on my radar for future purchases actually so I'm glad to hear you love their mineral powders :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Vita, we're so glad to hear more women like yourself are becoming conscious about what they're putting on their skin. We're dedicated to sharing the message of beauty that's good for you to the world and it is always refreshing to see others do the same.

    Based on the images you've provided in your blog post, it appears that you may unfortunately have received a faulty product. We would love to offer you an item replacement so that you can experience the true quality of our Pressed Mineral Powder foundation.

    Please contact me: ashlee.kyle@nudebynature.com.au and I will be happy to organise this for you!

    - Ashlee (Customer Care Manager, Nude by Nature)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Ashlee :)

      As mentioned above, I am currently using a second pan of the pressed mineral cover that I purchased myself at a later date and based on how that performs I may not need a replacement. Rest assured if it doesn't form a hard pan I will be editing this post with a positive update! It's great to see proactive customer care.

      Delete
  4. Hey Vita, I hate hard pan too! I recently made a video showing you how to get rid of it way easier than a spoolie (I don't mean to spam you) but thought you might be interested.

    www.lipsticknlinguine.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Sometimes it is partly the product and partly the brushes that deposit oils and emollients from your skin into the pan when you dip into the product for more. Sometimes it helps to keep the brushes super clean (rotate them so you have a newly washed btush every day) or it gets better in cooler climate where the skin tends to be less oily or have a less tendency to transpire. I have this problem mostly with my summer products and not with my winter powder products. I should add that I live in Sweden :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...