I've been playing it safe with eye looks lately so I haven't done anything post-worthy for a while but finally(!) I've broken out of my neutral rut. I got an interesting eyeshadow trio from Australian beauty brand ModelCo in a promotional show bag I bought at the Royal Melbourne Show last year and now I've decided to break it out of its box and play with some serious colour on my eyes!
As this look is based almost entirely on the ModelCo Eyeshadow Trio palette in Island Fever I've taken the opportunity to do a mini review of this palette before getting into the details of my EOTD look.
The Island Fever palette is made up of a colourful combination of two shimmers and a darker matte shade. From left these are: Costa Rica (a neutral beige shimmer which is something I personally can't be without in my makeup collection), Positano (a vivid turquoise shimmer which was the shade I was the most intrigued by and I guess nervous about) and Tahiti (described as matte midnight navy, perfect for use as a liner or to create a deep blue smokey eye). You can see how the interesting mix of shades offers the choice of playing it safe and neutral with a just a hint of colour accent or going all out with a deep, yet vivid smokey eye.
When doing the initial swatching I was impressed with the smooth application of these shadows, the lack of fallout and the depth of pigment, particularly that of matte Tahiti. These swatches are two swipes on bare skin.
Swatched from top:
Costa Rica, Positano, Tahiti
My play it safe instincts would have me immediately going for a neutral beige eye using the dark matte shade as a coloured liner but I opted to make Positano the focus of my look, and applied it all over my lids while incorporating the other two shades for highlight and definition. It's not something I'd automatically choose to wear but I did like the way the turquoise Positano seemed to brighten my eyes:
What I applied and where:
- Bloom Eye Base blended all over lid and crease
- Positano brushed all over lid and blended in crease. I also used it as a coloured liner on the inner third of the lower lash line
- Costa Rica on inner corner of lids and brushed lightly over browbones
- Tahiti on outer corners of lids and outer lower lash line
- Mirenesse Tight Liner Hydra Gel Eye Liner (Caviar Black) drawn all along the upper lash line for definition, with Tahiti applied over it with a pencil brush to soften the line
- Bourjois Volume Glamour Ultra Curl Mascara (Black) on upper lashes and outer lower lashes
Have you tried ModelCo products?