05 September, 2013

August's farewelled products (2013 edition)


Continuing with my voracious beauty consumption (and helped along by travel sizes and samples) I finished a heck of a lot of products in August! I hope you're not in a rush to get through this post.  Seriously, I was thinking of just going through all of the products with a quick yay or nay this time...

 
Skin care

75) & 76) Sasatinnie Rose Makeup Remover Wipes for Sensitive Skin (10 wipes) - Simply because of the small number of wipes in the packs I got through two packs in August. I haven't changed my mind about these wipes since last month - I still love them for their gentle effective makeup removal, the lovely rose scent and they way they leave my skin feeling lightly moisturised afterwards.  I have two packs left but I'm alternating with another brand at the moment.

77) BE Fresh Make-Up Remover Wipes With Cucumber (25 wipes) - This pack of wipes was hanging around open from before my overseas vacay so I only had a few left to finish off.   BE is a Priceline Australia skincare brand and the wipes are the first products I've tried in the line.  They're alcohol free, contain aloe and do the expected gentle but effective job of removing my makeup.  They have a good texture and feel wet enough to do a thorough job.  There are a few other varieties in the line so I think I'll take a further look.

78) Cyber Colors Gentle Eye Makeup Remover (59ml/2oz.) - I bought two bottles of this little dual-phase remover from Sasa in Hong Kong.  It's yet another dual-phase remover in an endless selection of the same - these removers are all interchangeable which is fine because I love them as long as the price is right! Would I buy it again? Sure because it was inexpensive and performs with the same effectiveness as the other brands I've tried in removing all kinds of makeup, including waterproof.

79) Biore Release Steam Activated Cleanser (147ml) - I got this mint-infused, 'steam activated', oil-free cleansing gel free with a local magazine.  The invigorating (overpowering) menthol and the steam activated cleansing beads are supposed to deeply penetrate and scream CLEAN! skin in the daily shower.  It did a good job of waking my skin up in the morning but I did find it a little too fresh and nasal-clearing for me.  This would be a better choice for those with oilier skin (and less sensitive nasal passages) than mine.


80) Skinlite Cucumber Essence Mask - I'm just getting into sheet masks and this mask was the first I tried from my Hong Kong bundle.  I don't know that I can effectively rate these yet because I am such a newbie so I'm not sure what my expectations should be!  This mask was enriched with Vitamin E, Phyto Collagen, and Cucumber extract and promised to soften skin texture and relax taut and dry skin after 15 to 20 minutes of use.  I found the mask's serum felt a little tacky on the skin even after I patted it into my face but I did wake up with soft skin the next day! These masks are an inexpensive fun way for a little enforced relaxation and a little extra skin pampering.  Next mask please!

81) YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum (30ml/1 fl.oz) - A rare skincare indulgence for me these days! I figure serum and moisturisers are a good area to splurge on quality ingredients if I'm going to indulge so...  This serum was quite a watery formula so it absorbed well and made my skin feel instantly refreshed.  It claims to make skin look more luminous, smoother, firmer and more plump, reducing the appearance of wrinkles - everything this little middle-aged duck needs really!  It certainly did make my skin feel smooth and plumped so I'd probably buy this serum again when my wallet can justify it. 

82) L'Oreal White Perfect Laser Anti-Spot Brightening Essence (5ml) - I think skincare essences are an alternative to serums because they are applied under moisturiser.  In any case this is the first essence I've tried.  5mls went a long way and I got a week's worth of use out of the tiny sample tube.  It was enough to pique my interest too because I loved how smooth it made my skin feel and any whitening product takes more prolonged use to see real results in reducing pigmentation.  Trouble is the White Perfect Laser range isn't available in Australia! Online shopping here I go?...


83) Nivea Light Feel Daily Face Veil Lotion SPF30 (50ml) - I was using this as my everyday moisturiser/sunscreen overseas and whilst it was okay - and definitely effective as SPF protection - I don't know that it felt light enough for me as my skin did appear a little slick, more so than dewy.  At the drugstore pay point I prefer my good old Neutrogena which I've reverted to using at the moment.

84) Natio Ageless Firming Night Cream (45g/1.5oz) - I don't wear night cream every night so this tub lasted a very long time.  The goodies in it are Vitamin C, organic rosehip and evening primrose and it definitely did make my skin feel firmer without feeling greasy.  Natio is a super affordable natural skincare option I enjoy using so I wouldn't hesitate to buy more in future.


85) La Roche-Posay Lipikar Baume AP Lipid Repleneshing Body Balm (7ml/0.2 fl.oz.) - I turned to a stash of samples in desperation when I had a winter flare-up of eczema on my neck and wrists.  I used five of these anti-scratching balm sachets and the thick unscented balm instantly soothed my prickly itchy skin.  I've now bought a massive full sized pump bottle of the stuff for skincare emergencies.  'Nuff' said.

86) La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra Intense Soothing Care (5ml) - This is meant to soothe and relieve dry facial skin but, yup, I used five samples of this on my limbs too! Naughty me! Means I can't tell you what this feels like on the face but it certainly felt wonderful on my body.  Soothing and very well absorbed and left my skin feeling silky.  I'll infer from that it would probably feel good on my face too if I needed extra moisture!

87) Avon Anew Platinum Night Cream (1g) - I used this sample for a single application between jars of night cream.  I remember it made my skin feel velvety soft and absorbed well but I can't say anything beyond that.  It's targeted at the more mature market with its claims of restoring the look of sagging skin.  Maybe if my jowls start driving me to distraction I might just buy a jar to really road test it, hmm?

88) Benefit Triple Performing Sheer Oil-Free Facial Emulsion SPF 15 (sample) - This is triple performing because it "hydrates, protects and comforts..." the skin. I used this sample for a few days and really loved how it felt, and I also loved the non-greasy finish it left on my skin.  If only the SPF were higher I would snap this up for a summertime facial moisturizer.


Hand and body care

89) QV Flare Up Wash (150ml) - This is the second bottle I've finished recently as a hand wash. See my earlier empties review here.
 
90) Bandi Purity Nail Polish Remover (120ml) - I bought this Korean (Hello! It mentions Gangnam on the bottle!) green tea/jasmine scented polish remover from Bonjour in Hong Kong.  It did a good enough job of removing my nail polish, had a great spill-proof design, and I enjoyed the novelty of the scent! Gangnam style indeed!
 
91) Bath & BodyWorks Warm Vanilla Sugar Shower Gel (59 ml/2 fl.oz.) - I was obsessed with this shower gel!  The vanilla scent was delicious without being overly sweet and the lather was so rich and soft.  Love it! LOVE IT!! If anyone wants to send me some more across the seas I will be eternally grateful - I'm already eternally grateful to Liz for introducing me to this shower delight!
 
92) OPI Avojuice Ginger Lily Hand & Body Lotion (30 ml/ 1 fl.oz.) - I've used these little bottles before and find the avocado oil formula to be incredibly moisturizing and well absorbed.  I used this as an overall body moisturizer.  The ginger lily scent was a little sweet for my taste but not overpowering.
 
93) OPI Avojuice Cran & Berry Hand & Body Lotion (30 ml/ 1 fl.oz.) - Ditto my last comment. Again the scent was a little sweet.

Hair care
 
 94) John Frieda Luxurious Volume Shampoo (44 ml/1.5 fl.oz.) - I don't normally review shampoo and conditioner because I use the same salon line month in month out but these were free with a magazine and were going to transform my fine hair right?  I liked the colourless gel shampoo formula and this cleansed my hair without leaving it feeling matted as some more detergent-like shampoos can do.  Nice soft floral scent too.
 
95) John Frieda Luxurious Volume Conditioner (44 ml/1.5 fl.oz.) - This was a thick white cream conditioner which while rich, rinsed out well, and left my hair feeling conditioned without being weighed down or limp. 

96) John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blowout Spray (30ml) - I'm actually more keen on trying out John Frieda's Root Booster Blow-Dry Lotion from the Luxurious Volume line because it is meant to thicken the hair strands but this one was the freebie.  I sprayed a few pumps over towel-dried hair and combed it through.  I liked the lack of stickiness and it did keep my very relaxed blow-dry in place.  I'm not a huge one for elaborate styles (my emphasis is on drying more than styling!) so I still want to try the Root Booster just to get more volume and thickness out of my no-fuss hair. 

 
Cosmetics
 
97) Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick (240 Undressed) - I've raved about Rimmel's lipsticks before and Undressed is my perfect caramel-beige nude. The Lasting Finish lippies are very pigmented and long lasting and as a lipstick lover I highly recommend them.  Honestly, these lipsticks are such good value at under 10AUD! 
 
 

Fragrance
 
98) L'Occitane Voyage En Mediterranee - Labdanum (EDP 75ml) - I am so genuinely sad to have finished this LE fragrance.  Well - almost finished.  There's one or two applications left in the bottom of the bottle I can't quite get to.  I'm going to have my husband prise open the top of the bottle because I absolutely must have the last few drops. Notes: Citrus fruits and spices, Labdanum (a woody shrub with a warm amber scent), benzoin, vanilla.
 
99) Tom Ford Sahara Noir (EDP 5ml) - This is a strange one and I always knew it was going to polarize opinions.  I grew to like it but my husband strongly disliked the rather smoky scent.  I remember it was described as an ode to incense but it more closely reminds me of wood fire.  Top notes:  "Bitter orange, Levantine cypress and cistus essence Orpur®".  Middle notes:  "Frankincence essence Orpur®, cinnamon, cool papyrus extract, rose absolute from Morocco and Egyptian jasmin with honeyed and animalic shades of beeswax from Burma".  Base notes:  "Labdanum absolute and ambreinol (an intense natural labdanum fraction), cedar, frankincense resin, benzoin, vanilla, oud and balsams".
 

And that's all for this month folks! 


18 comments:

  1. WOW you did such an amazing job of getting through so many products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of samples and travel sized bottles definitely helped me along this month!

      Delete
  2. Wow- you've been busy!!! Dumb question : are you using a cleanser after you use the cleansing wipes? Gotta catch up soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question at all :) And yes we need to catch up!

      My makeup removal depends on the amount of makeup. If I'm not wearing a lot - and that's most days - then the wipes are enough. I do use an eye makeup remover for my eyes and lips first then finish off with the wipes for the rest of my face. I should do another cleanse but I'm so tired by the end of the day!

      Delete
  3. I can see why this took you ages to write! Well done, you've done perfectly brilliantly in finishing off all these products!

    I wasn't really a fan of Sahara Noir...it was very interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it took three sessions to finish this post :p

      Sahara Noir is most definitely an acquired taste. There's no point in me buying it if hubby hates it either!

      Delete
  4. Wooooow so many empties! I'm jealous! I recently picked up the John Frieda shampoo so I was SO happy to hear you liked it... I was scared it was going to be bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the shampoo - and I don't think you need the root booster like I do. Your hair is so lovely and thick already - I have to use all the help I can get!

      Delete
  5. WOWZA look at all the empties! You go Vita! :)
    That Tom Ford fragrance sounds PERFECT for me! I love smoky fragrances! Need to get a sample of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to see what you think of Sahara Noir Tracy. I liked it but...the Other Half didn't!

      Delete
  6. I find myself liking more TF fragrances than not, which is depressing, given their price tags, LOL. You finished a lipstick again! And more perfume! You are so good at this, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of TF fragrance I just sampled a little of White Suede yesterday. It's softer than the usual TF fragrances but so, so lovely. I think I detected a hint of musk in it but I need to research the actual notes!

      Delete
  7. Woo, you blew through a tonne of things as usual. Wish there was a way I could send you giant sizes of the Warm Vanilla Sugar stuff! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done awesome! Nicely done. I miss my empties posts but I haven't finished anything recently. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will soon!

      I used up so many little products this month. I was on a bathroom purge to get rid of some of my samples!

      Delete
  9. wow! That is a massive empties post Vita!! So I'm taking it that you love La Roche-Posay? I've heard so much about it and if the body balm is as good as you say it is (because you bought the whole bottle after that!) I guess it must be! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love anything that instantly soothes itchy dry skin! I also love that it's unscented and won't clash with anything else that I choose to wear :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...