12 September, 2013

My standalone eyeshadow picks

**This post was inspired by the YouTube video and associated blog post by the talented  emilynoel83**



It's always nice to know there are standalone eyeshadow options available for those "I'm in a hurry!!" times or the "I can't be bothered..." times.  Most days I will wear two or maybe three shades carefully (Ha!) blended on my eyes but I definitely have those moments when I don't want to have to bother too much but I still want some brightness or colour to accentuate my eyes. Voila! This is where these colours in my collection come into their own.  They're here to save me from any confusion or decisions when I really don't have the time or the inclination.  On those days I'm all about using the KISS principle:  Keep It Simple Stupid Sister!

Just to let you know I spent a week wearing these different shades to prove to myself they are true wear alones.


 
Taupe
The practical, workhorse eye shadow favourite loved by many including me because it is a true neutral and can be worn with anything.  Taupe adds easy depth to the eye with one sweep over the lid, blended out along the crease.  These are my go-to taupes for an all over the lid look.
 

Clockwise from top:
 
Annabelle (Moka Mirage)
The newest taupe in my collection courtesy of the Beauty Reductionista and the warmest variant in my taupe trio.  I have tried this as a base under powder shadow but I prefer it as a standalone and apply it either by drawing directly onto the lid or drawing it heavily onto my fingertip first to apply with my fingers like a cream. I like the satiny finish it gives to my lids.
  
Maybelline (Silken Taupe)
I've had this one for an age.  I periodically bring it out, then forget about it again. I don't know why because it's truly wonderful and I was happy to rediscover it when looking for shadows to showcase in this post! It looks very soft in the hand swatch below but is pigmented and silky enough on my pale lids to add dimension to my eyes.  Silken Taupe is truly the most neutral shade and sits nicely on the fence between pale brown and grey. 
 
Rimmel (Backstage)
This is a glitzy, high shimmer taupe - the glam one - Backstage is the perfect name for it.  It's a one step shade for getting my eyes noticed and I wore it for an evening look!
 
 Swatched Left - Right:
Silken Taupe, Moka Mirage, Backstage
 
 

Purple
My number one choice when I want a pop of colour to offset my green eyes. Generally I use purple as a crease shade when I'm using a few colours on my eyes (my favourite everyday choice for the crease is MAC's Shale) but these two shadows work perfectly well swept all over the lids.
 
 
 
 Left to Right:
 
MAC (Satellite Dreams)
This is a semi-vibrant medium purple with a hint of blue pearl shimmer.  It looks like a weird bruised shade when swatched on the back of my tanned hand (just goes to show that the hand is not always the best place to test colours!) but on my eyes it's a different, definitely more flattering story! It appears rather lighter and brighter and gives my eyes that pop I'm looking for.  Trust me, the colour definitely appears truer purple on my eyes. 
 
Laura Mercier (African Violet)
I've seen this beautiful shimmery golden violet raved on about in many blogs so it's no surprise I love it!  It looks like shot silk as the colour either appears more violet or more gold as the light hits it at different angles - definitely a beautiful shade to add dimension to my eyes and make it look like I've made a real effort.  Haha! I just love it!
 
Swatched as above:
Satellite Dreams, African Violet 
 
 
 
Beige
Beige is the perfect no-fuss weekend shade for me because it brightens my eyes and I don't feel I need anything else because I suddenly look more awake! It's my dash out the door, casual choice of colour.  The two I have here are both definitely, emphatically favourites because they are both repurchases!
 
 
Left to Right:
 
Essence (Cappuccino, Please!)
I've raved and raved about this little drugstore beauty because it does such a lovely satiny job of brightening my eyes and it's a close dupe to one of my favourite MAC shades, Shroom.  It's probably my number one everyday all over shade.  If I ever want a pop of colour it's a simple matter of adding any coloured liner I wish!
 
MAC (Vex)
Another pretty duo-chrome.  It's actually a very soft green eyeshadow shot with pale pink pearl but pale and neutral enough for me to consider it a beige.  Again it brightens my eyes beautifully - I love combining this with a soft coral or pink lip for an easy weekend look.

 
Swatched as above:
Cappuccino, Please!, Vex
 
 
This is not an exhaustive list - I'm sure I'll dig out more as I experiment!  I haven't touched green, or brown or grey or...
 
What are your favourite standalone eye shadows?
 


19 comments:

  1. LOVE the look of the LM African Violet :o it's stunning! That Cappuccino Please is a fave of mine too :)


    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although my African Violet is in a palette you can get it as a single shade too and make up your own custom Laura Mercier palette. Cappuccino, Please is so good - I was upset when I couldn't initially get a backup and I thought it was discontinued! :p

      Delete
  2. For me it's got to be anything neutral. My definite go-to stand alone is I think Buck from the Naked Palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to investigate that shade now that I finally have the Naked Palette! Neutrals are definitely the way to go for 'one size fits all' eye accents!

      Delete
  3. Posts of this kind are my favourite of yours. You're one of the few bloggers who is able to get through her makeup. I want to be like you. :) As you know, I love Essence "CP!"; what you don't know is I've been waffling on MAC Vex, and thinking it might be too cool against my skin. I got it as a B2M after swapping for empties. You've inspired me to give it another go. Well... honestly I haven't given it a fair go yet. I am a silly girl and have beautiful eyeshadows but don't use them. Any of them.

    Ok. My goal in the next two weeks is to wear Vex at least 5 times. It can be at home or out in public. The point is I should play around with it -- as a stand-alone eyeshadow, in combination with greens, blues, etc.

    What eyeshadows do you think pair well with Vex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what happens when you have had as long a relationship with makeup as I have!! I clearly do have my favorites too :)

      There are a few less obvious combinations for wearing MAC Vex which work for me: I love wearing it with a warm chocolate brown in the crease so I guess you get the choc-mint look which is actually very popular right now :)

      The other is to pair Vex with a cool neutral accent. Not green or blue but something like a grey-purple. My pick is another MAC favorite - Shale. Enjoy playing with colour!

      Delete
    2. I was browsing your archives and came across this comment. Oh girl, my pants are on fire because I did not use Vex five times in two weeks as stated. I may have used it twice since commenting. As it's evident I am no good at wearing eyeshadow or following through with promises to use makeup, I will say this: "I may or may not wear Vex tomorrow. I may or may not try it with a warm chocolate brown or with MAC Copperplate, as is recommended by many people on MU Alley."

      Delete
    3. Hehe! That's fine - enjoy when you're in the mood!

      Delete
  4. These are gorgeous picks, Vita! I need African Violet - it's so, so pretty, and I don't even like purple :P I don't use singles as often because I like the ease of palettes, but I do have a few that I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love the warmth of African Violet Larie - it's a very unusual purple :)

      Delete
  5. I love African Violet too! And Vex as well, although I need to wear that with something else not on it's own. Lucky you that you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obviously THAT pale Tracy, haha! I can probably get away with lighter shades than most ;)

      Delete
  6. Great picks! I have Vex but I don't use it enough. In fact, I haven't been using much of my MAC eye shaodws :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling a bit fatigued about MAC in general lately too. Despite the good prices overseas I didn't buy any MAC - I just don't feel the excitement these days. Glad to know I'm not alone there :p

      Delete
  7. Love the shades but especially the Rimmel Backstage eyeshadow! It looks really glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backstage is very shimmery! A great shade for glam looks :)

      Delete
  8. Yay! I'm glad you like the Annabelle. I keep giving them to people but never used one myself, LOL!

    These are all lovely. I think I need to look at more purples. Totally feeling those shades right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you sent the Annabelle to me! So far I've been loving all the things in the parcel.

      Purple? I feel that shade all year round!!!

      Delete
  9. African Violet is stunning. I love purple on my brown eyes and I may have to get that one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...