01 July, 2012

Luxe lip gloss purchases: Chanel & Dior

A big woo-hoo to me!!

I finally ended my gloss ban (evidence is coming up in my June empties post) and I'd promised myself a Chanel Glossimer as my luxe reward.  Now...Dior was also recommended as worth trying out (thank you Larie) so what's a girl to do but check them out too?  I stuck to my original Chanel selection, buying 119 Wild Rose and after playing with swatches at Dior I decided on a lovely summery pearl Ultra-Gloss - 556 Coral Fantasy.

Here are my new glosses still inside their boxes sitting in the sun - pristine except for a few rogue fingerprints...


...and here are the pretty new tubes - ta-dah!

Top - Bottom:
Chanel Glossimer - 119 Wild Rose
Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss Pearl - 556 Coral Fantasy

Wild Rose was a straightforward choice because I favour glosses that are close to my natural lip colour - you know, that MLBB look, and my lips naturally have a very mauvey undertone.  I've justified to myself  (haha, must justify expensive stuff!) that I'll get lots of wear because it's such an easy and versatile shade and should go with basically anything in terms of wardrobe and make up.

Dior's Coral Fantasy appealed to me because it's a pink-toned peach, pretty without being bright and garish - and damn it - just look at the lovely packaging!  Silly I know, and I should be past all of that at my age, but I still looove pretty packaging.  Seriously I was already sold on the idea of having a Dior gloss once I saw the tube design - I just had to find the colour to suit.  

I'm behaving like an over-exuberant kid but here's another gratuitous shot of the tubes lined up...



Swatched L - R:
Chanel Glossimer - 119 Wild Rose
Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss Pearl - 556 Coral Fantasy

The swatches reveal the difference in pigmentation and finish.  The Chanel Glossimer is certainly shiny and glossy but is more opaque and wears almost like a liquid lipstick, adding colour and definition with the slightest hint of shimmer.  The Dior Ultra-Gloss is sheerer and has more of a wet jelly look to it and seems to make my lips look fuller - according to the Dior website this illusion of fullness is due to "...the Spotlight Shine complex, a blend of glass microbeads coated in a crystalline elixir, plays with substance and shine to enhance color and provide an unbelievable volumizing effect". 

Both of these glosses feel smooth, with no grittiness and are non-sticky on the lips and the Dior feels particularly weightless.

For a better idea I've done some lip swatches - both of these are photographed indoors and in direct sunlight. I was surprised at the similarity of the colours on my lips although you can see the finish is distinctly different:

Chanel - 119 Wild Rose


Dior - 556 Coral Fantasy



What's your favourite luxe make up item?

Vita :)

13 comments:

  1. OMG these are beautiful! I'm not sure I have any luxe products I adore, I tend to stay to the medium end brand lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so do I! Most of my stuff is medium to drugstore and I love it but this was a bit of a treat :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Vita! I'm so glad you bought one of the Dior glosses. The packaging makes me giddy, too :D They look lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Larie - I do NOT regret getting the Dior too. I'm just itching for spring to come around cos I think it's such a perfect S/S colour. And don't get me started on the packaging...too gorgeous and covetable...whoever designed it knows what women want. I look forward to reapplying that gloss in public, haha!

      Delete
  3. Nice buys, congrats! I have my eye on some Dior Addict Extreme lipsticks, waiting for the right occasion to buy, mostly I stick with drugstore products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the idea of buying to mark an occasion because it makes it just that bit more special. Just as long as you don't only wear it on special occasions - I believe you deserve to feel special on a daily basis :)

      Delete
  4. The colour of the Dior looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie :) I can't believe I've waited so long to buy my first Dior gloss. I have the feeling it won't be my last either...

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, they're both so pretty. Congrats on finishing the gloss ban! Well-deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Liz :) I'm thinking about continuing with a finish two, buy one ratio for the rest of the year to slowly diminish my gloss stash. Let's see if I can stick to that!

      Delete
  6. I say it now and will say it again.. I can't get enough of Dior Addict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, look at me with my first one - better late than never!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...