26 July, 2012

My winter palette: Plums, berries and wine


I'm a fan of classic makeup shades and I'm really embracing the wine and burgundy lips that are trending at the moment.  I'm not much of a bronzer wearer - I embrace the pale! - so I've always turned to the darker lip shades in winter because I find they're a flattering contrast to my paler winter complexion.   And of course that translates to the nail colours I choose too.

Blackened reds, berries and plums just look so right in winter worn everywhere really so this post is dedicated to my love of these shades.  I've had a little fun diving into my own collection and I'm sure I could have posted even more but these are the makeup items I found whilst doing a 'power shop' of my stash! Stand by for lots of swatching...

Lips
Presented and swatched from left to right:
  • MAC Satin Lipstick (Rebel) - Is it berry? Is it plum? Is it beet? MAC has described it as a midtonal cream plum.  I don't know how to best describe it but I love this deep but vibrant shade of lipstick so much this is my second tube.  Click here for my original rave.
  • Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick (Wine With Everything) - A classic deep wine creme finish lippy.  I've had it for ages and just rediscovered it when I was going through my stash a few months back. A good shade to replicate the burgundy thing happening with lips at the moment.
  • Revlon Colorburst Lipstick (Raspberry) - A semi-sheer raspberry shade.  A nice light daytime red for winter with its cool undertones.
  • Bloom Lip Gloss (Tint) - Looks burgundy in the tube but translates as a sheer berry on the lips.
  • L'Oreal Glam Shine Reflexion Gloss (Sheer Cassis) - Not very sheer really, but a rather opaque plum gloss with a hint of shimmer and sparkle.  I like it layered over lipstick for added impact with an evening look.

Eyes

Presented clockwise from bottom left and swatched from left to right:
  • MAC Shale - I've been using this eyeshadow so much this winter I'm surprised I haven't yet hit pan.  It's such a versatile, almost neutral mauvey-plum which I'll use subtly as a crease accent or more dramatically all over my lids.  Definitely on high rotation at the moment and I can see myself getting a backup in future.
  • MAC Cranberry - One of my newer MAC's and I bought it when I was going through a complete berry obsession at the end of autumn/fall. It's described by MAC as a reddish plum with a pink shimmer but it looks more warm toned to me, with a tendency towards copper rather than pink.  It's an after dark eye colour for me, and I'll wear it toned down so I don't look red eyed anchored with a strong black liner, some dark shadow and a truckload of mascara!
  • L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadow (Burning Black) - Wow! A blackened burgundy eyeshadow and another one for daring after dark looks or it can be used as an eyeliner. Very pigmented so a light hand is needed or it can be a nightmare to blend out.
  • MAC Powerpoint Eyeliner pencil (Bordeauxline) - My go to plum eyeliner pencil because it contrasts with the green in my eyes.  I use it every other day as an alternative to brown or black.  Looks great partnered with Shale.
Cheeks

  • NYX Mosaic Powder Blush (Plummy) - This is the sole plum blush I own and probably only because it's not too plummy or dark!  I swirl all of the colours in the pan together for a very natural flushed cheek look.  However, and this is a significant however, the powder has a really strong "chalky" smell which makes me want to look a bit closer at the composition of it. 

Nails

Presented and swatched (terribly, sorry due to bad lighting) from left to right:
  •  Revlon Autumn Berry - Deep plum/burgundy with a subtle gold shimmer.  Even though it's a very dark shade the gold shimmer lifts it out of being too vampy.  It was one of the first ever polishes I swatched on this blog (see some cute amateur swatching here ) and I think it's worthy of a reswatch once my nails grow out of their current nubbin stage.
  • OPI Bogota Blackberry - A rich blackened berry shimmer. I'm pretty sure it's in OPI's core line.  My idea of the perfect deep red polish.  So, why the hell haven't I swatched this one on my nails???
  • OPI Bastille My Heart - From one of OPI's chicest collections, La Collection De France.  It's a dark berry red creme with a very subtle shimmer.  Again, I NEED to wear this one!!
  • Australis Vampy - Another berry shade.  Vampy is a bit of a peculiar name for this shade because it's a pretty berry red creme, with a hint of glitter.  I'll need to wear this one on a sunny day to show you how cute it actually is, but still seasonally appropriate for colder weather!

Is there anything here that takes your fancy?

Until next time.

Vita :)

10 comments:

  1. I have this "vampy red nail polishes aren't really me" - but every time I do wear one, especially fall and winter - I LOVE it...
    So yes, I like the colors you have chosen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they're classic rather than interesting but I'm always drawn to them too! xo

      Delete
  2. I love this round up! Berry and wine colours are my kind of shades, I have the Infallible shadow but am yet to use it so will be sure to use a light hand now. I love the look of Shale <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Shale on the recommendation of the MAC MUA and I was a bit dubious at first but now I absolutely love it! It's one of my favourite MAC shades because it is so surprisingly versatile. I can see myself hitting pan with this one for sure :) xo

      Delete
  3. We're still in the heat of summer here, but I've actually already embraced vampy berry shades :P I've been wearing Forbidden Burgundy and dark nail polishes...I just love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to buy Forbidden Burgundy - It looks so utterly fabulous on you! I don't think dark polishes are ever out of season. There's always some variation that works and burgundy's such a classic anyway :) xo

      Delete
  4. Oh man, this has me stupidly excited for fall! I love dark dramatic colours. Looks like I need to secure L'Oreal Infallible in Burning Black - and Revlon Wine With Everything used to be a favourite shade a LOOOONG time ago. I was such a sophisticated 14 year-old, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, wearing vampies when you were 14??? I'm in total awe of you Liz - I was still wearing bubblegum lipgloss at that age. I was more adventurous with my eye makeup and rocked an electric blue liner (and matching mascara), lol!

      Delete
  5. Unfortunately berry shades don't suit me in makeup but....Bogota Blackberry is hot! I must invesitage owning my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bogota Blackberry's a classic choice. You can't go wrong with that one :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...