02 November, 2011

REVIEW: Products farewelled in October


Hmm, it feels like we're getting to the business end of the year - that time of year when we start to take stock of what's gone before.  I've learned a few things about myself through this blog and I'm already starting to think about my beauty resolutions for next year - not that I'm ready to reveal them yet!

Anyway, getting back on topic here are more empties to add to this year's growing tally.  I'll try to keep the reviews short and sweet this month:

Skin care

64) L'Oreal Gentle Make-up Remover for Eyes & Lips (125ml)
My 4th bottle finished for the year.  See my original review here.

65)  Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel (50 ml)
I bought this to pack for last month's trip because I like the sensation of foaming cleansers and it was a bit more compact than my current 150ml pump bottle from The Body Shop.  The formula is as simple and unfussy as suggested by the brand name with no perfume or colour and is suitable for sensitive skin. While it's supposed to lather when it comes into contact with water I found the minimal lather of this gel a bit disappointing - I like a good froth & bubble!  Rather than feeling foamy and velvety on my skin this gel felt a bit slippery and slimy and it took a lot of rinsing in the shower to get rid of that slippery feeling.  Although it was a bargain at $3.99AUD I won't be rushing to repurchase this.


66) Shiseido Bio-Performance Super Restoring Cream (7ml/.24fl.oz sample)
This little sample jar went a long way! I used this incredibly rich cream as a night treatment on those nights when my skin needed a little extra TLC.  According to Shiseido, this cream offers, "A rich, nourishing time-fighting ... revolutionary solution to wrinkles and age-related deficiencies in skin...".  Yes, this was super rich but I loved it.  As with all Shiseido products this had a lovely soft fragrance which adds to its luxe allure.  I'd love to buy this as an occasional skin treat but at over $100AUD for a 50ml jar it will have to wait until my wallet allows it!


Body and hand care

67) Kusco-Murphy 'Man' Daily Scalp Service Spray (200ml)
I included this bottle in my empties for your amusement!  My hairdresser used this on my new shorter style as a thickening spray so of course I bought it.  It's actually targeted at *ahem* guys with hair and scalp problems to promote healthy hair growth with a host of herbal oils, extracts and natural wheat proteins.  Anyway, I found it worked really well at giving a bit more body to my hair without that crunchy feel.  The downside is the 'masculine' smell which didn't appeal to my husband.   I stubbornly used it to the last drop but won't buy Man again (unless I suddenly need some husband repellant!)

68) Garnier Body Tonic Sugar Scrub (200ml)
This is the second tube I've finished this year. This scrub contains sugar and natural fruit extracts to exfoliate and smooth the skin.  I quite like the uplifting fruity smell when I'm in the shower and this is a reasonable exfoliant.  However, it's not my HG so after two tubes I've decided it's time to move on and try something new.

69) OPI Avoplex
This was luxe hand cream love for me.  See my full review here.


Cosmetics
 

70) Revlon Spa Age Defying Concealer (001 Light)
I bought this a few months ago when I was comparing pen concealers. Not bad for a basic concealing product but it doesn't have the illuminating qualities that I personally look for in a concealer (click here for my full review). 

71) Christian Dior Diorshow Mascara (Black - 5ml sample)
I got this as a freebie and I absolutely love it.  The formula is smooth and non clumping, the large brush manages to coat my lashes individually so the result is feathery, fluttery big soft lashes.  All the better to bat at my man!  At $52AUD I'll have to plan my budget so I can splurge one of these.

72) Essence Lip Liner Pencil (01 Soft Rose)
Another little winner from Essence.  This pencil was super soft, didn't drag at all on my lips and blended beautifully to create a soft natural outline.  Soft Rose was the perfect light nude and was a close shade match for my lips   The only downside with such a soft pencil is that I had to sharpen almost every time I used it but at $2.95AUD I'm not complaining. Of course I've bought a few back-ups!


That's all for this month.

Thanks for reading!

Vita :)

6 comments:

  1. Vita, where do you get Essence products in Australia? I've heard good things about them but I've never seen them here and I assumed they weren't available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dee - I used to be able to find Essence at a few Priceline stores but now I hunt them down in selected Target stores (Doncaster & Epping in Melb). Check out EssenceAu on Facebook to see if there are any stockists near you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every month you amaze me with how many products you finish! well done!
    I've been searching for a makeup remover that isn't oily, but actually removes waterproof mascara, so I'll definitely take a look at the L'Oreal one
    Grace xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That L'Oreal makeup remover is my fave too. Actually, the real fave is Lancome Bi-Facil but L'Oreal is the more affordable option. It's funny, we don't have that Garnier Body Polish in Canada (we don't have any Garnier bodycare stuff, period). It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shall do, thanks for the tip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Grace - The L'Oreal remover is basically the same formula as Lancome's Bi-Facil remover (also excellent stuff) but at a fraction of the price so give it a go.

    @Liz - I used Bi-Facil too until I discovered L'Oreal's remover. I'm really amazed that Garnier body products aren't available in Canada or even the UK (as I've been informed by a UK blogger)! If they come your way they're worth trying.

    @Dee - Just to let you know I actually saw Essence featured in the beauty pages of this week's Famous magazine. I did a bit more digging online and - fingers crossed - Essence will be launching more widely this month in Target stores across the country.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...